Trouble Balancing Camera With Long Lens

cfaser

Trouble Balancing Camera With Long Lens

Post by cfaser » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:16 am

My Hitch Hiker came today. Ya. I am having trouble balancing my camera with a long lens on it. I have a Canon 7d with a 400 mm lens that I intend to use for the eclipse. I have the side saddle on. If I put the handle up top my camera hits the mount when I try to point to zenith (the eclipse is mid day so the sun will be quite high. If I flip the saddle around so the locking mechanism is on the bottom, the camera has clearance to point up. However, I have not been able to balance the set up. I tried using the instructions that came with my FTX but no luck. When I tried the other saddle (the one that is horizontal) I find that the dovetail plate that came with the mount is to small and slips out of the saddle. I have tried tightening the screw to tighten it up but that also did not work. Any help would be appreciated.

alt-az-builder

Re: Trouble Balancing Camera With Long Lens

Post by alt-az-builder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi Chris,

NEVER TURN THE LOCKING MECHANISM ON THE SIDE-SADDLE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SADDLE!!! THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!

You can retract the handle -- or remove it. Long lenses with rotating ring mounts generally do not require using the handle. We designed the handle for easy removal without tools.

The clamp is adjustable in width. I put a few notes about adjustment in the astronomy section. NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!!!! This will damage the mount. You have to loosen the four screws on the side of the clamp jaw to adjust the width. The screw on the end is only to aid in micro-adjusting of the clamp width. Trying to force the clamp to be narrower without loosening the side-screws that actually hold the width of the clamp can damage the clamp.

It sounds like your lens is much longer than mine. Please see suggestions that I posted in the astronomy section.

Charles