Sigma 150-600 on Side Saddle

Febco57

Sigma 150-600 on Side Saddle

Post by Febco57 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi fellow HH users.
I ordered the Side Saddle plate to use the HH with a Nikon D850 and a Sigma Sport 150-600. This combination weighs about 8.5 lbs. I was not able to achieve perfect balance with the lens fully extended at 600 mm. What I found is the 4" lens plate is not long enough. It would be great if a 6 to 8 inch lens plate was available. So Charles and Jake, could you make a longer lens plate available?
Is it possible to alter the slot on the lens plate so we can use captive 1/4-20 screws? Thank you very much.

Fernando

alt-az-builder

Re: Sigma 150-600 on Side Saddle

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi Fernando,

We do have plans for longer plates. Before manufacturing new items, we first have to establish sales for existing items. Manufacturing is incredibly expensive. But many new accessories will follow once we have a revenue stream.

Charles

Sunlight

Post by Sunlight » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Charles,
Can't find a way to respond on the Notes from the factory thread about the thicker quick plates so thought this might be a good spot. Any idea on when the new quick plates will be available?
Frank

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Frank,

May I ask what is your particular need?

It will be a few months before the thicker quick-plate will be available. The primary motivation for the thicker quick-plate is to provide extra clearance between a spotting scope or camera and the yoke arm when using the side-saddle. There are a number of new accessories that will eventually be available -- including at least two new quick-plates, the tripod quick-release, an adapter to mount the finder-bracket on the payload platform, and more. But it will take a little time for our embryonic little company to provide all of these items. Machining is very expensive -- and right now the first priority is filling all of the back-orders for the Hitch Hiker. A lot of growth will occur in 2018 -- but 2017 has been about a father/son team taking the proverbial "sketch on a napkin" to physical reality in limited numbers with only the tiniest amount of funding and a lot of perseverance. We have many ideas to bring to life -- but we are starting from scratch with nothing more than concept as a starting point.

Charles

Sunlight

Post by Sunlight » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Charles,
I am considering ordering a side saddle and from the description of the new quick plate seems as though it would be perfect for use with my Kowa spotting scope as well as several telephoto lenses I own. Just trying to get a better estimate on when things might become available. If you don't mind my asking what is the current wait time on the side saddle? Thanks,
Frank

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:04 am

I have the Kowa TSN-773 scope -- and it is wonderful on the side saddle. You think, "I want to point there" -- and by the time you think it, you've done it.

Returning to the previous question of balancing a moderately large telephoto lens, I now have a Nikon D850 fitted to a Nikon 80-400 4.5-5.6 G ED lens. I am able to balance the camera and lens throughout the entire zoom range using the 4" quick-plate -- really with room to spare. Don't forget that there are two axes of balance -- fore/aft along the plate -- and up/down movement of the saddle. Also, the Hitch Hiker provides two ranges of up/down balancing for greater versatility. There is a downward biased range -- and an upward biased range. To change from one range to the other, remove the saddle and rotate the altitude shaft by 180 degrees. Remember not to cross-thread or over-tighten the screws. (The screws really only need to be barely snug.)

For my setup with the D850 and 80-400 zoom, I am using the downward biased range setting -- but I have the saddle pushed all the way up. It just balances! But if I needed more upward travel, I'd just remove the saddle and flip the altitude axis 180 degrees to the upward biased range.

The only limitation that I've encountered is that it would be good to space the camera/lens over to the left maybe 1/2 inch. And as soon as we can, we will make a quick-plate that will provide this clearance. The new quick-plate would also benefit large spotting scopes.

A Nikon D7200 was used in the photographs on the website -- so it was very nice to try the much larger and heavier D850 and find that it is also easily accommodated. I'll take photos of this setup as soon as I can. It is very handsome and well proportioned.

Charles

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:43 am

Oh -- I forgot to mention -- the side-saddle is available now!