Eclipse preparations and iffy weather forecast

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
alt-az-builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Eclipse preparations and iffy weather forecast

Post by alt-az-builder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Well -- if the eclipse were on Tuesday, weather from my primary site in Wyoming would be perfect. But the weather forecast for Monday is a little iffy -- partly cloudy -- but trending towards more clear. Sunday looks worse. Nebraska looks worse. Idaho looks a little worse.

The problem is a cold front with a long east-west boundary that is dropping south on Sunday. There's also wildfire smoke in the air. I'm not sure how to adjust because the pattern is rather complex and Monday looks less than perfect everywhere in the region.

I took test shots of the crescent Moon this morning to find the exact infinity focus for my lens. The setting is rather sensitive. I have marks to align in the daylight -- but even small displacements are noticeable.

Charles

alt-az-builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Eclipse preparations and iffy weather forecast

Post by alt-az-builder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:15 pm

My plan is to view the eclipse in the national forest just to the west of Riverton, Wyoming. I was hoping that the cold front would pass through a few hours earlier than forecast -- but is now expected a few hours later -- making conditions a little more iffy. The forecast for Casper is better -- but there is little public land on the eclipse center-line in that area -- and the crowds and traffic are going to be horrific in Casper. The Gran Tetons and eastern Idaho look to have worse odds than Riverton. Western Idaho and Oregon look very promising from the standpoint of clouds, but the crowds and traffic will make Casper look like it's been abandoned.

The Weather Channel says Monday in Riverton will be "partly cloudy" -- but their detailed forecast says it will be "sunny" in the morning but with a 40% chance of afternoon rain (up from 20% in their previous forecast). They say Tuesday will be "sunny" with no chance of rain -- so the trend is sort of in the right direction. It may come down to making guesses based on all factors and sticking with it. Maybe the iffy forecast will cause many people to go elsewhere. (Can Oregon hold yet another 500,000 people?)

I don't think there will be more than 50 to a 100 people at the remote site I've chosen -- and the route there doesn't involve the major highways (one semi-major highway for a short distance). These are pluses.

But my crystal-ball is a little foggy. How are the plans of others shaping up?

Charles

alt-az-builder

Re: Eclipse preparations and iffy weather forecast

Post by alt-az-builder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 pm

The National Weather Service forecast for Riverton says only scattered clouds until 3:00 PM with a 20% chance of rain. Sounds more promising ...

At my chosen site, totality starts about 11:40 local time. It's directly under the eclipse center-line.

Charles