Hitch Hiker Astro with a Borg 107FL

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Star Voyager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hitch Hiker Astro with a Borg 107FL

Post by Star Voyager » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi all -
Last night I got a chance to use my new HH astro with the side saddle with my borg 107FL. Please note that despite the aperture of the scope, its got a very short FL of 600mm and is light, even with arca swiss dovetail, rings, and focuser (about 7.4 pounds total). With a T2 diagonal and ethos 10mm, add another 1.5 pounds approximately, and you have about 9 pounds total.

Last night, all I had time for was lunar viewing, and some simple mount assessment. I was viewing with a RRS tripod, and was using sorbathane pads under the tripod legs. I was observing over large masonry tiles, which provided a rigid, level platform. Also, I was able to achieve two axis balance with scope, and apply only very slight friction on the axes when viewing, as I have found this results in faster vibration dampening in HH mounts.

I was very impressed with the HH astro and the 10mm Ethos on the moon. Vibrations were dampened quickly, and I could fairly easily focus the scope, despite its short light cone. Raps at the focuser (sorry Charles! I know you dotty like this kind of talk) were generally dampened very quickly, in about 1, maybe 1.5 seconds at the very longest.

I will pop a 5mm delite tonight to see how the HH astro does at 120x.

Britt
Attachments
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG (139.4 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG (178.19 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG (142.69 KiB) Viewed 3337 times

alt-az-builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hitch Hiker Astro with a Borg 107FL

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Britt,

Well -- I KNEW that someone would try this combo! For the record, I want to point out that this load lies outside the recommended range. Nonetheless, it's an enlightening experiment -- kind of like the one that I did with the C-6. I think your experiment tends to support the notion that a Borg 90 would be a very good match to the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle. Remember that loads are not really measured well by weight. It is the moment-of-inertia about the balance point that really matters. More than likely, the difference between a Borg 90 and a Borg 107 in terms of moment-of-inertia is pretty large.

Please make certain that you have carefully adjusted the width of the quick-plate clamp for a firm grip on the quick-plate that you are using.

But it's pretty hard not to be enthusiastic about the barely-over-two-pounds Hitch Hiker Astro. At nine pounds, your load is 4-1/2 times the weight of the mount itself -- which is very high and almost unprecedented.

Charles

sctchun

Post by sctchun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi Britt,

That's great news, hope to the HH soon to build a similar setup.

Steven

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 pm

I think that those folks mounting these oversized loads on the Hitch Hiker should strongly consider using our quick-plate that has a bidirectional safety-stop system. Using it is a good idea for any expensive load -- but is the bidirectional safety-stop system is a REALLY good idea for these high moment-of-inertia loads that will put considerable stress on the clamp.

Charles

Star Voyager

Post by Star Voyager » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:15 pm

I have taken the Borg 107FL out again under decent skies, and put a 5mm Delite into the visual diagonal. I was extremely impressed with the results. Again, on a solid paved patio and using vibration suppression pads, the mount performed extremely well. Dampening times were around 1 to 1.5 seconds, and thew mount and scope were a joy to use. My target was the moon, but I also targeted stars to see if the result was any different.

To confirm Charles' suspicions though, I am having minor issues with the clamp/arca dovetail connection. Since the clamp places the force on the dovetail in one place, the pressure is high and my dovetail is getting marked up. Frankly I don't care much about this, but will likely use Charles quick plate instead.

Charles, in one of your previous posts you mentioned that you would include a quick plate for all HH pre orders. I didn't see one in the the box that arrived, but must confess, I could have missed it in my excitement getting the HH unpacked. Did you include one?

Thanks,
Britt

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 am

I apologize for the confusion. I meant that comment only for the Kickstarter orders -- which have been waiting MUCH longer and did not get their orders filled first because of the payload platform part that had to be remade. For the record, I have never considered the "Hitch Hiker Astro" orders to be "Hitch Hiker" orders. The Hitch Hiker Astro orders contained huge discounts including a free finder-bracket. I apologize for my sloppy wording in that post.

Charles

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 am

On a separate note, a small amount of marking of the quick-plate is unavoidable. But I strongly suspect that you have your quick-plate clamp adjusted too tight.

Charles