A HEAVY Stellarvue 80 on the Hitch Hiker

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
alt-az-builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A HEAVY Stellarvue 80 on the Hitch Hiker

Post by alt-az-builder » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:31 pm

I tried my rather old and quite heavy Stellarvue 80 ED f/7 on the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle. Using a 2-inch diagonal and 24 mm ES 82-degree eyepiece, this scope is actually heavier than the C-6. But the cantilever (out from the saddle) is only about half of the cantilever for the C-6. This is an excellent scope -- but it is pretty darn heavy.

It turns out that this scope mounts very nicely on the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle -- and would make a very workable pairing. I'm certain that I will use this combo. I turned the focuser slightly to improve clearance with the mount, but as the photo shows the scope will point very close to the zenith -- certainly a close as I would want to go. Using the 2" diagonal is not a problem, at all.

In this case, the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle is carrying a load that is about five times heavier than the mount -- and doing a good job, especially considering the length of this scope. This is really outstanding performance -- comparable to putting a 125 pound scope on a DM-6 or a 60 pound scope on a FTX. I don't think I would consider using either a longer scope or a heavier scope on the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle -- but the SV 80 ED f/7 is carried quite respectably.

The newer (and lighter) SV 80 models should be good matches to the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle. With a maximal load like this one, be very careful with the clamp adjustments.

Charles
Hitch_Hiker_10.jpg
Hitch_Hiker_10.jpg (237.92 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

msand65
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A HEAVY Stellarvue 80 on the Hitch Hiker

Post by msand65 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi alt-az-builder,
How heavy was the setup that you used? I am starting to look at upgrading my setup and thus just joined the Hitch Hiker groups. I have a similar telescope (Televue TV-76) and suspect is similar in weight.

alt-az-builder

Re: A HEAVY Stellarvue 80 on the Hitch Hiker

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:57 pm

This load weighs just over 9.5 pounds. Keep in mind that weight alone is NOT a good measure of load. It is moment-of-inertia around the pivot-point (usually close to the balance point) that really matters. The moment-of-inertia is not easy for most people to determine -- so I give examples rather than numbers. The best guide is to substitute other instruments of very similar size, construction, weight, length, configuration, and so forth.

The Hitch Hiker with side-saddle weighs just slightly over 2.0 pounds. So, the f/7 Stellarvue refractor is a long scope that weighs almost five times as much as the mount. Typically, astronomical mounts with which you are probably familiar carry loads with weights in the range of 80% to 200% of the weight of the mount. So, the nearly 500% weight ratio of my Stellarvue 80 to the Hitch Hiker is incredibly exceptional. But you should expect some qualifications. This setup will be most satisfying for low to medium power observing -- such as for deep-sky observing in the 18x to 60x range. It could be used occasionally for observing up to about 100x -- but this will require a fairly stout photo tripod. Most photo tripods are not amenable to observing at 100x. I would not recommend the Hitch Hiker as a high-power, planetary mount with a 3" or larger scope. It's a grab & go mount -- and in this arena, it has no peer.

So, your TV 76 will work on the side-saddle Hitch Hiker -- if your goals (and tripod) are matched to Hitch Hiker's intended purposes.

Charles