C-6 with the Hitch Hiker!

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
alt-az-builder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

C-6 with the Hitch Hiker!

Post by alt-az-builder » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Out of curiosity, I tried putting my C-6 SCT on the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle. It worked!

The Hitch Hiker was not designed to carry a C-6 -- and the C-6 definitely represents a maximal load. As pictured, the scope is very slightly tail-heavy. For absolutely perfect balance, I would need to remove the rail from the C-6 and drill/tap one more 1/4-20 hole so that the quick-plate could be moved aft a little more. This would certainly be an easy project.

In the photos, the C-6 is aimed as close to the zenith as it can go -- but with the scope moved forward a little for balance, the scope could be pointed very close to the zenith.

I am using a Manfrotto 375B tripod for this setup. I don't think the load would be stable on a very lightweight CF tripod. I think that at least a five-pound CF tripod would be needed for both stability and rigidity.

Because of the large cantilever of this load, the quick-plate clamp is "feeling" the equivalent of maybe a 14 to 15 pound refractor with a smaller aperture. One will need to tighten the shoulder screw holding the inner clamping-lever just a little more than normal so that the clamping "toe" does not flex too far outward. Keep in mind that this load is greater than the designed capacity of the mount when the cantilever is factored into the equation.

All of that said -- it would not be impossible to use a C-6 on the Hitch Hiker with side-saddle. I think a C-5 would be a much easier load.

Charles
Hitch_Hiker_9.jpg
Hitch_Hiker_9.jpg (234.57 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Hitch_Hiker_8.jpg
Hitch_Hiker_8.jpg (237.78 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

Swsantos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: C-6 with the Hitch Hiker!

Post by Swsantos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 am

If you threw a 2 inch diagonal on it with perhaps a Baader quicklock adapter it would it make even more tail heavy allowing more slide forward perhaps making pointing to zenith easier? Or would the scope just end up being too long and not clear the mount?

Steve

lwmcallister

Post by lwmcallister » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

PM sent...

alt-az-builder

Post by alt-az-builder » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 am

Hi Steve,

The real issue with using a C-6 is not clearance -- but the combination of weight and long cantilever away from the saddle. I really don't think the Hitch Hiker (even with side-saddle) should be used to mount a C-6. However, I do think that a C-5 will work. Note that a C-6 presents a similar load to a 16 to 18 pound refractor when the cantilever is considered. This is just to much for the 2-pound Hitch Hiker.

What real reason can be cited for using a 2-pound mount with these larger loads? The Hitch Hiker's outstanding utility surfaces with small scopes -- a lightweight mount to match lightweight scopes and tripods.

Please note that I am not able to get messages on info@halfhitchtelescopes.com or info@hitchhiker-om.com while traveling.

Charles