William Optics Z61 and HH first light

mikemiller

William Optics Z61 and HH first light

Post by mikemiller » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:34 am

Finally got my new William Optics ZenithStar 61 in today and set it up for some first light testing under cloudy skies.

The scope is 360mm focal length and is very compact. The dew shield is about as long as the white part of the OTA. With a heavy Baader diagonal and moderate weight 2" eyepiece this thing balances perfectly and easily.

I was planing on putting a red dot finder on the bracket, though with this eyepiece the field of view is so wide it really isn't necessary.
facebook-9010031.jpg
facebook-9010031.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 100 times
facebook-9010028.jpg
facebook-9010028.jpg (88.14 KiB) Viewed 100 times

alt-az-builder

Re: William Optics Z61 and HH first light

Post by alt-az-builder » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Mike,

This is a very good-looking setup! I would suggest trying a laser-finder with it.

What tripod are you using?

Charles

mikemiller

Re: William Optics Z61 and HH first light

Post by mikemiller » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks. This is the Gitzo Traveler I have been using for my other HH for photography. I think for astronomy I am going to weight it down because the tripod is so light it makes the whole thing very easy to tip over in the dark.

I have the finder bracket attached because I was going to test with either my Rigel Quickfinder or Olympus EE-1 Red dot sight. I will have to make a trip to the hardware store to get some hardware to attach either of them.

The Quickfinder comes with a swapable base, one of which I have attached to a Vixen rail clamp that I use with my FTX. The base is bigger than the finder bracket, so I need to get a piece of plastic and drill a couple holes in it.

The EE-1 fits to a camera shoe, so I have a plan to use a shoe adapter screwed on to the finder bracket. The EE-1 is much smaller than the Quickfinder, but its meant for daytime photography, so it is also way brighter. I plan on giving both a try to see which I like the best.

I also have the William Optics Flat61 to use this scope for photography, so I plan on giving that a try on the HH as well.

I will have to post some detailed pictures of how I get it set up.