Keeping a camera from twisting on a a quick-plate

alt-az-builder

Keeping a camera from twisting on a a quick-plate

Post by alt-az-builder » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Some may have encountered an issue with a camera or scope twisting on the quick-plate when using the side-saddle or the portrait mode of the payload platform. The basic issue is that the anodize coating on the quick-plate is very slick -- but there are ways of solving this issue -- and we have devices on the "drawing board" that will completely eliminate this problem.

Here are some short-term solutions. Use self-adhesive cork or rubber pads (available at Home Depot and most hardware stores) to stop the twisting. On my D7200, I used a 1/4-20 hex-nut and a screw as a cleat to prevent twisting. I pushed the nut up against the back of the camera. (See photo). Alternatively, you could sand the top of the quick-plate where it meets the camera to roughen it.

Eventually, we are going to make specially designed cleats to stop such twisting -- but it takes a lot of money to have anything machined. So, the company must find some traction in the market first. We are not a big corporation with unlimited resources. We are two guys (working out of our homes at the moment) with better ideas, hoping to challenge the industry giants with our innovation as we become established.

My Nikon VRG ED 80 to 400 f/4.5 to 5.6 zoom is equipped with a Kirk Enterprises rotating collar that allows me to hold the lens onto the quick-plate using two screws. My small astronomical telescopes are also held in place by two screws. My spotting scope is held by only one screw -- but does not twist because the mounting point is very close to the scope's center of gravity.

Charles
Hitch_Hiker_26A.jpg
Hitch_Hiker_26A.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 325 times